Saturday, February 03, 2018

Was I ever this young?

 
The year was 1956. I was 23 and just two years out of BU with a Bachelors in Journalism. I had worked for a short while in an Advertising Agency and a year as a promotional writer for WWNY Radio in Watertown, NY, but I was getting itchy feet and decided to head to California.

Coming from the East Coast was a huge plus back then and I’m sure it played a large part in my getting an interview at KEY-T television station in Santa Barbara and then actually landing the job. The picture above accompanied the press release which read:

Colin M. Selph, President & General Manager of KEY-T has appointed Virginia Lee as Advertising & Promotion Manager of the station. Miss Lee, formerly with Shattuck, Clifford & McMillen Advertising in Boston and WWNY in Watertown, NY will head up KEY-T’s trade press advertising and publicity, sales promotion and agency contacts. 

When I read that in the paper I realized I was in way over my head, but with the hubris of youth I felt I could fake it.  Actually those were the very early days of TV and the station was just getting off the ground so in a way we were all undergoing a learning experience.

In the long run it didn't make much difference since Mr. Selph got an "offer he couldn't refuse" and he sold the station within the first year that I was there.  The new owners brought all their own people so that left a bunch of us without jobs ... but my time spent there was definitely not wasted.

That short stint at KEY-T really beefed up my resume and helped to pave the way for my next BIG stop ... New York City !


7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A very interesting photo. I like the style although the left side is a little too dark IMO. But you look good, m'dear.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a great picture, Ginnie. Oh, how brave and adventurous we are as youth!

5:44 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Oh this is gonna be real interesting. I can't wait to read the rest of the story!!!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

A picture of confidence, smarts and good looking too. We weren't afraid to tackle anything in those days.

11:03 AM  
Blogger possum said...

If you had landed in Hollywood, we would all have seen you on the BIG screen, no doubt!
Makes me think about how Brave I was at 23... I integrated a school system. SOunds like food for a post, but your life got so much more exciting than mine.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Big John said...

Exciting times indeed. Lovely photo. Who needs 'selfies'?

6:53 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed reading this post about your career start after graduation but too bad the move was short-lived.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home