Saturday, November 11, 2017

“Waking Up Is Hard to Do”


In 2009 I heard Neil Sedaka being interviewed. He spoke of the joy he found with his five year old twin granddaughters Charlotte and Amanda. They accompany their renowned granddad on his album for children entitled “Waking Up Is Hard to Do”. I thought it was sweet and posted a blog about it.

Now it is 8 years later and the whole atmosphere of the country has changed. A dismal pall seems to have settled over us and we badly need a bit of fun to cheer us up. Sedaka is a legendary pop singer and songwriter and he's taken eleven of his hits from decades past and revised them. The tunes are the same but the words are changed to tickle a child’s fancy.

“Breaking Up is Hard to Do” (his 1962 hit), wouldn’t mean a thing to a toddler but they could certainly relate to “Waking up” being hard to do ! Neil performed it during the interview and I couldn’t help but sing along as he played and sang the words:

They say that wakin’ up is hard to do

Wear a smile and don’t you be blue

Just wipe the sleep from your eyes

Instead of going back to bed

You’ve gotta stretch and face the day


Just listen to the Birdies sing

And the flowers that await the Spring

Rise and shine, your dreaming’s through.

Wakin’ up is hard to do.


Some of the other parodies on the album are “Lunch Will Keep Us Together”, echoing “Love Will Keep Us Together”, “Where the Toys Are”, a takeoff of “Where the Boys Are”, and “Dinosaur Pet”, a variation on “Calendar Girl”...(“I love, I love, I love my dinosaur pet”).

I guess it will depend on your age if you remember these tunes as well as I do, but one thing is sure. If you have small children and you play this album for them you will find yourself captivated too. Just remember that singing and dancing is definitely permitted. Who knows? Maybe your children will write a blog entry about it 70 years from now!


6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, even I know those tunes, although I pretty much don't know any tunes after 1962. :)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I know them all and have a sneaky suspicion some will stay with me today. Like how he changed the lyrics so kids would enjoy.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Thanks for the tip, Ginnie. It will be on the playlist for the kids now!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Of course, I remembered all thise tunes, Ginnie, and Neil Sedaka has always been a favorite of mine. His lyrics might be considered “bubblegum” by many but they spoke to simplier and happy times. And, to my way of thinking, there’s nothing wrong with that...wish it were the same today.

6:58 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Fond memories here of that guy. Such fun. And did he ever get in The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? What a travesty if not!

10:13 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh, I LOVE it!
Yes, I sure do remember Neil Sedaka. Sounds like a lot of fun for the little ones!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home